Old Greenwich is where it all began. On July 18, 1640, the Siwanoy Indians, for the price of twenty-five English coats, sold the land that is now Old Greenwich to four Englishmen. One of the Englishmen, Jeffrey Ferris, named the area after his birthplace, Greenwich, England. As Greenwich developed to the west, Old Greenwich became known as “Old Town.” In 1872, the name was changed to Sound Beach at the urging of the New Haven Railroad, which preferred that name for its rail stop. So Sound Beach it stayed until 1930 when the area was renamed Old Greenwich.
Old Greenwich has evolved from a farming community to a summer resort to the quiet commuter community it is today. Residents of the village take a particular pride in their community with its special amenities: its intimate downtown shopping center; proximity to popular Greenwich point with its fine beach, park and public boating facilities’ and scenic Binney Park, where Little League baseball and soccer are regular weekend events and the annual model sailboat races on the pond draw many young would-be sailors.